[antlr-interest] changed 'x' to "x" for v3

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Mon Nov 28 09:25:56 PST 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 1:08 PM, Martin Probst wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> For that matter the double quote is on Shift-2. Even more awkwardly
>> the numerous brackets, braces, parens are
>> all hidden away with modifier keys on the 8 and 9 keys (differently
>> on the Mac of course...I think the square
>> ones are on Alt-5 and Alt-6 but I cannot remember that, since I long
>> ago switched to an US-style keyboard layout
>> and hardware for that reason alone..)
>
> That's why I use a modified US layout for programming, it's just
> unbearable with the {} and []. French is even more weird, where you
> have
> to press shift to type numbers ...

Yeah, I found that really strange and uncomfortable.  The English
keyboard just seems made for coding...well, now if we could banish
that stupid capslock and replace it with the ctrl key like gawd
intended. ;)  Seriously, has anyone actually used capslock for
anything ('cept shouting!)? ;)

> Anyway, the ' vs " thing is not really an issue, I just wanted to
> point
> that out, not that we Europeans get out of sight in here ;-)

Indeed...

> Is quoting/escaping really an issue? I guess most of the time the
> source
> code to be parsed will reside in it's own file, without quoting
> issues,
> or not?

Yep.  I'm building a ruby grammar at the moment and this double quote
just looks super wrong to me in the lexer and for many literals in
the parser...seriously thinking about taking the 4 hours to switch
all my unit tests to single quotes and change the code ;)

Ter