[antlr-interest] newlines in v3 (codegen, runtime solutions)

Chris Black chris at lotuscat.com
Mon Nov 28 13:20:33 PST 2005

Micheal J wrote:

>>My philosophy behind v3 is that it should do by default what most
>>people will want it to do.  Most people just want it to work and
>>are not that concerned with speed.
>>

>Noted. We'll adopt that philosophy for the v3 codegen.
>
>Micheal

Neeeoooooohhh!!!
It makes me crazy when I see exchanges like this. We use ANTLR not only
because it is easier to write and more maintainable in many instances,
but because it is FAST! I don't see how having it "just work" is at odds
with making it quick. I've also already stated my opinion that I would
much rather have speed over prettiness/readability of generated code. I
just really don't understand the attitude some people seem to have
regarding speed trade offs. SPEED IS IMPORTANT TO MANY USERS.

Chris