[antlr-interest] C++ beginner questions

Martin Probst mail at martin-probst.com
Sat Oct 1 03:21:54 PDT 2005

Hi,

> I also keep scratching my head thinking, "What's the
> point of compilers implemented in Java?".  It's neat
> but pretty much in the same way that the ASCII client
> for Doom was neat. I guess they must be using it for
> business rules engines where the data processing
> workloads are light.. That's the only thing I can
> think  of..

Well, what's the problem about Parsers/Compilers in Java? Actually the
Java version of ANTLR v2 is significantly faster than the C++ part.
The only problem you might run into is the JVM startup overhead, if you
compile file by file on the command line.

Not wanting to start a language war it might be necessary to point out
that Java is in no way necessarily slower than C++.

Martin