[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR Studio AVAILABLE for DOWNLOAD !!!

Don Caton dcaton at shorelinesoftware.com
Sun Oct 9 17:57:48 PDT 2005

Prashant:

Ok, but I didn't watch the videos, I tend to ignore things like that (I have
Flash blocked too). I'm a "just give me the facts" kind of guy. You should
have something on the web site making it clear what the product is, and what
its requirements are.  That's pretty standard stuff for any product.

In any case, yes, I know I need to download Java and Eclipse. I think you
kinda missed the point of my message. There's lots of links on the Eclipse
download page. Knowing nothing whatsoever about Eclipse, how is one supposed
to know what is needed to run your plug in?  Is the SDK enough? Do I need
the Java Development tools or the Plugin Environment or the Platform? How
about the Visual Editor?

And if you go to Sun's site, there's links to all sorts of things named
"java" this and "java" that. There's "Java 2 Standard Edition" on the
downloads page, and there's links to J2SE 5.0, J2SE 1.4.2 and J2SE 1.3.1.  I
don't see any "JVM 1.5".

One of your earlier posts today started out: "As you guys already know, if
you try using AS(ANTLR Studio) with AE(ANTLR Eclipse)..."  No, not of us
"already know". That's the point I was trying to make in my original post.
If you're only focused on those who already know Java and Eclipse, that's
fine.  Maybe that's covers most of the Antlr community, but you shouldn't
assume that everyone already knows about any particular platform, language
or development environment.

A short "here's how to get started on a Windows machine without Java"
document would be a great help. I'd invest the time to look at Antlr Studio
if I knew exactly what to install to get up and running with a minimum of
fuss. But I don't have time to go digging around Sun's site or figuring out
what parts of Eclipse I need to install. Like most developers, I've got too
much work to get done and too few hours in the day to do it <g>.

Don
  _____