[antlr-interest] Syntax-directed translation

Sohail Somani sohail at taggedtype.net
Sun Oct 16 19:42:09 PDT 2005

Hey guys,

What are your opinions on syntax-directed translations with antlr?

Do you find syntax-directed translations make your translators more or
less maintainable? After doing a few actions for syntax directed
translation, I'm leaning towards doing translation based on an AST using
something like treedl. I think this would make the code more
maintainable and allow more readable context-based transformation of the
source text (not currently a requirement though). I look forward to your
opinions.

Thanks

Sohail