[antlr-interest] Manual tree construction?

Sohail Somani sohail at taggedtype.net
Sun Oct 23 18:32:30 PDT 2005

Hey guys,

Please bear with a tree parser newb.

I have a couple of grammar rules as follows:

fnDefn
	: FUNCTION ID parameters;
	  codeBlock
	  END
	;

parameters
	: LPAREN (parameter (COMMA parameters)*)? RPAREN
	;

I want to construct the tree:

(FUNCTION ID (parameter parameter) (codeBlock))

But how can I construct the tree in the parameters rule so that theres
no LPAREN or weird ugliness there?

I've done this which kinda does what I want:

parameters
	: LPAREN^ (parameter (COMMA! parameter)*)? RPAREN!
	;

But I can't think of how to manually or automatically construct the tree
above because of the (parameter (COMMA parameter)*)? business. Is there
an example?

Thanks in advance!

Sohail