[antlr-interest] [Re-]Building ANTLR on Windows is a $$$ pain!

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Mon Oct 31 22:14:12 PST 2005

Either that, or I'm having a really bad day.

Building from depot source. On a clean Windows install. The intent was to
use the features of the 'antlr.build' package to save some time. So, I
planned to use the AntlrWorks jar files to bootstrap my copy then use my
copy exclusively after that. The bootstrapping worked. So I then do the
following:

    cd antlr275
    javac -cp . antlr/build/*.java
->  java -cp . antlr.build.Tool build
    java -cp . antlr.build.Tool jar

Unfortunately, the third line consistently results in ANTLR parsing errors
related to the antlr.g file. The first error message relates to the '/*' of
the first comment block in the file. Weird!.

[Incidentally, there is nothing special about the antlr.g file, it just
happens to be the first one processed by the build tool. Copying the failing
command and applying it to other .g files gives similar errors.]

If I put the ANTLRWorks jar file (or the antlr.jar from 2.7.5rc2) in the
classpath it all works but, I still get the above error on any attempt to
rebuild ANTLR using the .class/.jar file(s) built from the ANTLR 2.7.5
sources.

- What is different in ANTLR between the AntlrWorks version and the current
2.7.5 in the depot?

- Why can't ANTLR 2.7.5 build itself on my Windows box?

Anyone else come across similar ANTLR (re)build errors?

Cheers,

Micheal

PS	The "Version.java contains outdated info" issue remains. I seem to
remember that it was to be auto-updated on check-ins etc. It still contains
details related to 2.7.5rc2.

PPS	Hmmm, can this be due to weird UNIX/PC line ending wackiness?