[antlr-interest] Price of Antlr Studio

Prashant Deva prashant.deva at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 15:24:47 PDT 2005

The price of ANTLR Studio for a single user license would be -

49$

For all those who are against the commercialization of ANTLR Studio-

I dont know why you guys are against commercial software. I think
commercial is the best way to develop a software, especially one like
an IDE . NO,I *DO NOT* think free, open source, gpled software is the
best way to develop software. I think money is a good motive to
develop software and if possible I would really like to make money by
doing so than in any other way. Yes, i do think money motivates one to
develop software. You do tend to give something a higher priority if
you get paid for it. And if you give a higher priority to something it
does turn out better.  I do think ANTLR would a far better software
and there would be far earlier releases of it if we all paid Terence
500$ each time we downloaded it. (No offense meant Terence. Please
dont take this in the wrong way.)

Take for example eclipse itself. Sure its free, but the developers who
develop it are paid highly by IBM to sit and code, cause it serves IBM
in their strategy for software services which makes them money
eventually. They dont give eclipse for free cause they like you and
care for you.

As i have already mentioned before i want to make the best IDE for
ANTLR and and i dont think i can do that by giving it for free. If you
can please go ahead and make one.

Someone mentioned something about 'freedom'.  Hell, its an IDE , what
freedom do you want other than to use it? If you want to develop on
top of it maybe in the next version i can put in an interface for
plugins.
Of course, if by freedom you mean that you take the source , change it
a wee bit and add your name to it, then NO , you cant do that and i
would not want you to do that either.

PRASHANT