Licenses etc. (was: Re: [antlr-interest] Re: Antlr Studio is cool.)

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at eca-international.com
Thu Sep 22 01:47:16 PDT 2005

The thing with the GPL is that it does NOT prevent an author selling his
own work. If Prashant wants to sell Antlr Studio, that is his moral
right.

What the GPL does (and is intended to do) is stop *you* selling *my*
work (and cutting me out of the loop).

Somebody mentioned "freedoms". I'm sorry, but an author deserves the
freedom to do what he will with his own work. If you don't like that,
you have the freedom not to use his work.

As for Ter's stance, my little project is LGPL and possibly GPL, but
that's because it's "infrastructure", and as such others can build on it
without getting bitten by the "derivative work" clause. So others will
be able to freely distribute it, and ship their stuff with it.

Cheers,
Wol