Licenses etc. (was: Re: [antlr-interest] Re: Antlr Studio is cool.)

Matthew Tedder teddemc at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 11:07:02 PDT 2005

Paul et al,

  Indeed, "derrivative work" is defined by legal
precident.  Trying to redefine this term would only
serve the lengthen the GPL creating more potential for
different interpretations.

  It's very simple, for the right to include GPL'd
code into your own code, you must in exchange make
your code GPL licensed.  Many commercial organizations
also like this clause, such as for electronic
transaction protocols in the financial industry.  It
has largely stopped a culture of embrace and extend,
and forced firms to compete on merit, not attempt to
monopolize (at least in this one respect).  Note that
you can bundle GPL'd software, but you cannot mix
actually source code with your own.

  While some software developers don't understand the
GPL, the GPL and BSD licenses are nevertheless the
most widely known software license in existence.  Due
to this uniformity, these two licenses bring far more
assurance than any others in existance.  Companies
(and people) who think it's confusing can have those
opinions, but they are far better known and understood
than any others... To deny that is ignorance.

  And about the "viral GPL" FUD, if you mistakenly
include GPL'd code in your code and try to license
your code incompatibly with the GPL, it does not make
your code automatically GPL'd.  The GPL says it simply
terminates your right to use the GPL'd code.  You must
stop shipping it.  Comparatively, what would happen if
any company A discovered that company B included some
of their proprietary code into their product?  The
viral argument is also rediculous because it couldn't
do that legally, anyway.

  So stop bashing the GPL... Especially when you
demonstrate a blatant lack of understanding of it.

  I am not bashing Terrance's choice of BSD.  It's
good choice, as far as I am concerned.

Matthew