[antlr-interest] Java code generator memory optimization

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Sat Sep 24 15:05:52 PDT 2005

On Sep 24, 2005, at 2:46 PM, Akhilesh Mritunjai wrote:
> What does everybody think ?

Hi :)

In the ANTLR v3 version, I have tokens point at the start/stop index
into a single char buffer that has the entire input text (well, that
is the default anyway).  So, you have a duplicates still in the sense
that all references to identifier "salary" are not shared, but at
least there are not multiple copies as there are now by default. :)
If your file is 1M, it's probably pretty big and that's just not
enough memory to worry about this days.  Wow, I remember when my 16k
machine was great! ;)  Anybody remember which processor was 1.077 mhz
by the way?  ;)  I noted the other day that the Apollo space shot
computer back in the 60s had about that speed for the flight control
computer.  The entire source for the flight control software is on
the web...how did I get off on this topic?  oh well, my first coca
cola in a while...too much sugar. ;)

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com