Licenses etc. (was: Re: [antlr-interest] Re: Antlr Studio iscool.)

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at eca-international.com
Mon Sep 26 04:28:09 PDT 2005

I believe "derivative work" is defined by the Berne Convention.

And yes, I agree with you that the matter is very confusing. However,
that is the fault of the politicians for failing to be clear about what
is, by its very nature, a difficult subject. But basically, if you use
part of a GPL'd work in your own program, then your program is a
derivative. You *may* get away with "fair use", and you will always get
away with "but it's for my own use" (because the GPL says you can), but
if you try to distribute your work you may get into trouble.

And I'm afraid I have to agree with Matthew as to your failure to
understand the GPL. A crucial first step is to comprehend the difference
between a *contract* (which, notwithstanding the L in the acronym, is
what EVERY click-through EULA is) and a *licence*.

If you have to say "I agree", then it's not a licence. Despite what
monied interests would have you believe. That's why you can break a
EULA, but you can't break the GPL. You break the law, instead.

Cheers,
Wol