[antlr-interest] Java code generator memory optimization

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Thu Sep 29 20:06:06 PDT 2005

Now then now then now then! I had the pre-cursor to the Sinclair Cambridge that had a BASIC interpreter. You are thinking of much more luxurious state-of-the-art than the original, probably one of them new fangled rich man's ZX80s or ZX81s.

No, no, no, no. no! No BASIC interpreter there mate... not unless you count the one I wrote in 240 bytes of pure Z80 (not A) by using all the hidden instructions for IH that they forgot to delete. No... wait I am pretty sure it was 110 bytes, AND I didn't use t'top bit. I also gave it away in hand written hex on the back of beer mats, so long as you were willing to buy me enough beers to get t'beer mats because we couldn't afford beer mats in Yorkshire... in fact we couldn't afford the beer either. Nor the shoe leather to walk tut pub. Not that you'd get there anyway mind, because there were no street lights because we couldn't afford t'electric. In fact I had to power t'machine by dangling a some copper pipe (stolen of course) out o t'window when it rained, which it always did, and anyway we didn't have any glass in, in fact we didn't have any windows... <fades into oblivion>

And they PAY Eric for this sort of stuff!

Jim