[antlr-interest] ANTLR v3 compatible with GPL?

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at eca-international.com
Wed Aug 16 02:14:19 PDT 2006

Acutally, Ter is correct here.

ONLY TER CAN RELICENCE ANTLR (okay, that's not totally true, seeing as
he doesn't own all the copyrights).

Let's say I modify Antlr, and mixing it with GPL3 (or GPL2) software,
and want to distribute it. The GPL says I must licence ALL MY CODE as
GPL (I can dual licence it, if I wish, so I could BSD it as well). It
also says I must licence the collective under the GPL - which in
practical terms means I have to supply *all* the source to *everything*
upon request.

Seeing as Antlr is BSD, and I have (or can legally get) the sources and
redistribute them, that is not a problem. (Oh - I've come across hints
that there may be problems with Antlr and GPL3. If Antlr needs Sun Java
and the source for that is not available, it may not be possible to
distribute Antlr under GPL3.)

So to sum up. Antlr is under the BSD. ONLY TER CAN CHANGE THAT. If I mix
it with GPL software, I must then treat it AS IF the entire thing was
licenced under the GPL. The BSD licence gives me the rights I need to do
that, so there is no problem.

Copyright and licencing is actually a simple problem - IF you understand
the law, and carefully read the relevant licences. The two mistakes I
see time and time again are when people try to force the licensOR to
abide by the licence (hint - they can give themselves permission to do
anything they damn well wish!), and when people don't read the licence
CAREFULLY and misunderstand it. The GPL seems especially prone to this
:-( If you want an education in copyright law and Free Software,
subscribe to debian.legal and read the archives.

Cheers,
Wol