[antlr-interest] Scopes and C runtime

Kay Roepke kroepke at classdump.org
Thu Dec 7 04:37:51 PST 2006

On 7. Dec 2006, at 13:09 , Gavin Lambert wrote:

> Especially since an exception dump doesn't seem like a good
> response.  Couldn't it recognise that it's an issue with the
> codegen template and simply report that rather than spewing a full
> exception?  Just a thought.

For the time being I think exceptions are the way to go. It helps us
to identify problems much more quickly. But I agree that a final
version shouldn't fail in that way if at all reasonable. OTOH if it
really is an exception, then why not. At the end of the day, this is
a tool for programmers who mostly understand what's going on. That
doesn't mean that they know the reason for the particular exception,
but instead that there is a problem which should mandate a bug report :)

In most cases I've come across, it is due to some missing template/
attribute. Clearly, there isn't much ANTLR can do in those cases,
it's just going to fail.

cheers,

-k
--