[antlr-interest] When will the beta book be available?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Dec 22 17:07:24 PST 2006

On Dec 22, 2006, at 4:42 PM, Bill Mayfield wrote:

> Hi Terence,
>
> First a BIG BIG BIG thank you for the work you've put into ANTLR
> 3!!! It's such an improvement over ANTLR 2... I like it! Great
> work! :-)

Thanks!  It's been a long 3.5 years (working every day including
weekends except for the past few months). I really do think I
understand parser generators now and this tool is the culmination of
everything I've learned about parsing and just plain coding in general.

> Any idea on when the pdf (beta) version of the book will be
> available. You don't know how many times I have wished I had access
> to your knowledge right now! Would gladly pay 5 times the price
> just for that ;-)

Should I up the price of the book? ;)

The development editor and the other hip cats at pragmatic
programmers bookshelf are evaluating the book as we speak and
hopefully first week of January or second week you'll have a beta
version that includes most of the stuff.  Just posted a tutorial
(with almost no text) on building a tree-based interpreter.  I think
you will enjoy... requires the absolute up to the second version of
the tool but hey ;) I made a huge number of improvements today to
support building interpreters.  I decided this was too much for the
current book, which is really a reference manual.  The next book will
be all about building domain specific languages.

> A merry christmas to you and your family...

Thanks, Bill.  Happy holidays. :)

Ter