[antlr-interest] New article on StringTemplates and Treewalkers

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Tue Jan 10 12:07:30 PST 2006

On Jan 10, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Andy Tripp wrote:

> I posted the article on antlr.org:
> http://antlr.org/article/1136917339929/stringTemplate.html
>
> It's in the "articles" section, under "Heresy" ;)

Ha hah ha!  Cool.  Thanks.

Before posting my thoughts, I would like to hear people's comments
for/against.  I will add initially, however, that you seem to be
sweeping under the rug the one big counterexample of your statement,
"one assumption is that the structure of the input and output
language ASTs are similar."  I'm pretty sure that ANTLR's input /
output languages are vastly more different than your C->Java
translation. ;)

This should make for an excellent discussion, which hopefully will
get folded in a future book.

Regards,
Ter