[antlr-interest] anybody get bitten by ANTLR's AST interface requirement

Prashant Deva prashant.deva at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 19:20:44 PST 2006

> Just FYI, we use a tool called "Retroweaver" to backport our fully Java
> 1.5 software so that it runs on Java 1.4. It basically removes all the
> generics stuff and does some minor other things (StringBuilder vs.
> StringBuffer), after running your jar through it you can directly use it
> in 1.4 environments without any manual intervention. Might be an option
> for ANTLR, too.
>
> Martin

Although 'retroweaver' sounds good, I dont see how it will convert some
stuff like the new classes for thread management (by Doug Lea). Also some of
those new language features do take off a bit of load (esp the enhanced for
loop).

Also I really dont understand why people dont want to switch to java 5. i
mean the jvm is100% backward compatible with 1.4 plus it will run your
1.5programs too.
Almost every week I get an email from somebody who asks me why it is
important to install jvm 1.5 to run ANTLR Studio and when i ask him what the
problem is installing it, they all tell the same thing, that they work on
1.4.

--
Prashant Deva
Creator, ANTLR Studio