[antlr-interest] Java and static arrays: a serious joke

Rodrigo B. de Oliveira rodrigobamboo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 21:14:59 PDT 2006

On 6/2/06, Terence Parr <parrt at cs.usfca.edu> wrote:
> I have to laugh...Java is really showing growing pains.  I cannot
> allocate even small static arrays because it requires 6 bytes of code
> for each byte I want to put into a static array.  Yes, Java makes a
> class init method that manually builds these arrays!

I can empathize with that :)

> So, what the HELL are we going to do in order to store transition
> tables for DFA in Java?  Load the data from the disk?  gawwwd!
> Seriously?  How can you load static data into a Java class?

If I understood you correctly you should be able to split the
initialization through different methods:

    static {
           init_dfa_0();
           init_dfa_1();
           init_dfa_2();
     static void init_dfa_0() { _dfa = new int[42*1024]; }
     static void init_dfa_1() {
           _dfa[0] = 0xF00;

It sucks but you know, whatever gets you through the night... :)

--
bamboo
*** See you at the first global db4o User Conference in London, July