[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3.0 beta timing

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Mon Jun 19 10:11:16 PDT 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 2:54 PM, Marq Kole wrote:

> Ter,
>
> For the ANTLR 3 Python target: at this moment I am not considering
> working on the ANTLR 3.0 port for Python as it is now -- I can only
> find
> time and resources to perform a port once there is a stable version. I
> just will not be able to keep up with the frequent code changes I
> currently see passing by in the mailing list. If you intend to
> declare a
> "feature-freeze" on the ANTLR 3.0 code during the beta period, I can
> make a start during that time; if not, I will only start once ANTLR
> 3.0
> is released.

An excellent choice ;)  I am essentially done with the beta; just bug
fixes and doc now until final.  I'd wait for beta.  I'm going to be
too busy doing ST and other work to get any new features into 3.0 I'm
afraid.  I would expect new features after 3.0 in fairly short order
though.  E.g., incremental parsing and "parser expression grammar"-
like parsing may appear in the Fall.  Oh, talking with Ari Steinberg
as convinced me that a simple inheritance scheme is actually useful
and appropriate.

I have to build the 2->3 converter in July also I realized this
weekend hence that sucks up my new-feature time before 3.0 final.
I'm committed to an August 1 release of 3.0!

In summary, wait until beta in a week or two.  I need to sync with
Jean about AW and then we're ready to go.

Ter