[antlr-interest] Article against TreeWalkers

Jeff Barnes Jeff.Barnes at codesic.com
Wed Mar 8 08:54:27 PST 2006

A couple of questions, Andy...

Would it be fair to say that one big switch statement is not as good as an interface?

Does the tree grammar "mix languages" anywhere else besides actions and semantic preds? Would a solution that defines constraint and action languages be palatable to you? Or am I being too much of an "Insightful Linguist"?

Andy sez:
I realized that tree parsing is identical to text parsing, albeit in two dimensions instead of one.

Go ahead and take an few minutes, a few hours, or a full PhD program to really absorb that. I'll wait right here....

Jeff sez:

LOL! I never got that either. To me, a tree seems multi-dimensional; a table is two-dimensional. Terrence??

Andy, your disenfranchisement lends credibility to the Tree Grammar.

Regards,

Jeff