[antlr-interest] estimate about creating a parser

Paul Johnson gt54-antlr at cyconix.com
Mon May 1 12:06:33 PDT 2006

duboimat at iro.umontreal.ca wrote:

> We would like to create a VHDL parser (with AST).
>
> Is it possible to create this parser in one month?

VHDL is difficult. If you're an expert at VHDL (and only a handful of
people are), then I'd suggest giving yourself ~6 weeks to get proficient
at antlr (which presumably you don't know yet), and at least 6 months
just to get to useable ASTs. Doing anything useful with the AST is going
to take a lot longer.

If you're *not* an expert at VHDL, then forget it...  :)

Paul