[antlr-interest] executing actions during backtrack

Jeff Barnes Jeff.Barnes at codesic.com
Wed May 10 11:09:26 PDT 2006

> What would you checkpoint then, the entire heap & stack? Somehow the
> user needs to tell you what is going to be changed as you can't find
> it out from looking at the code, at least not generally (Turing
> anyone?) and certainly not easily in imperative languages. You can't
> generate a checkpoint without either knowing what to save or copying
> the whole machine.

We're still talking DFA's right? Depending on whether the DFA is state-centric or transition-centric, you would put the Command stucturally in a State or Transition... Just thinking out loud here.

I think the size of the serialization 'file' should be configurable on startup. A circular log would prevent runaway log size. If the user had a really large walk from node to node before a confirmed match, they would have to make sure the log file size was configured large enough.

Jeff