[antlr-interest] case sensitivity for ANTLR v3 lexers

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Wed May 24 13:02:28 PDT 2006

I believe that the ICU package is about as close as can be on that
issue. But in general convering the simpler languages that java handles
naturally would be enough. Very special cases can be hand crafted by the
implementer, but most cases are not like this.

The C runtime for ANLTR3 uses UTF32 internally and expects any character
stream to provide its own conversion from the original input character
set (which is preserved in the original format however). I have provided
latin-1 and will provide a few other input streams for people to use as
templates for anything else. Typedefs are used for pointers so that you
can specifically say if the source is 8 bit characters, UTF32 etc.
ANTLR3_foobar and so on.

Also, don't forget that though we may want a case insensitive match, the
original case of the matching text is probably what is required for the
token.

I have not finished error handling yet (C) but in fact it will be easy
to override the output methods and so on as it will get an error message
code which you can use to do whatever you like.

Jim