[antlr-interest] Use of ECMA grammar: Newbie user question

Pichon, Marc Marc.Pichon at ca.com
Tue Nov 28 05:15:48 PST 2006

Hello,

I'm facing a problem with the use of ECMA.g grammar when I'm trying to
use it:
What I am getting is as follows:

at compile time, a lot of non determinism appears (in the ECMA.zip file
associated)

js file parsed:
var __menuBar=void(0);

function menubar()

{

}

********************************

what I defined in ECMA.g to call Lexer and Parser:

class ECMAParser extends Parser;
options {
 k = 8;                            // for token lookahead
 exportVocab=ECMA;                  // Call its vocabulary "ECMA"
 defaultErrorHandler = false;      // Don't generate parser error
handlers
 }

class ECMALexer extends Lexer;
options {
 exportVocab=ECMA;      // call the vocabulary "ECMA"
 testLiterals=true;    // don't automatically test for literals
 caseSensitive = true;
     caseSensitiveLiterals = true;
 k=8;                   // eight characters of lookahead

 // Allow any char but \uFFFF (16 bit -1)
 charVocabulary='\u0000'..'\uFFFE';

> ecma_grammar; LA(1)==(SOURCE_CHAR) v [inputState.guessing 0]

> sourceElements; LA(1)==(SOURCE_CHAR) v [inputState.guessing 0]

< sourceElements; LA(1)==(SOURCE_CHAR) v [inputState.guessing 0]

< ecma_grammar; LA(1)==(SOURCE_CHAR) v [inputState.guessing 0]

and

Call ECMALexer ...
Call ECMAParser ...
Call parser.ECMA_grammar_expr ...
exception: line 1:1: unexpected token: v

v is the first character of the input file.

My understang is that no litteral are recognised and that no lexer rule
can be applied.

I've tried changing  testLiterals=true; to  testLiterals=false; withou
difference.

Any advice welcome, Marc

Marc Pichon

Marc.Pichon at ca.com