[antlr-interest] philosophy about translation

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Oct 6 11:48:06 PDT 2006

On Oct 6, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Andy Tripp wrote:
> The distinction because I think a lot of people mistakenly believe
> that tools like ANTLR and
> ASTs will "scale up" from simple stuff to real, complete translation.

I have done some nasty translators, but none on the scale of your
COBOL to Java translator.  Gary Funck and I worked on a Pascal like
language to C translator (he did the work) that use tree
transformation and it had lots of nasty things to do like
topologically sorting the declarations so that C was happy with them.
so clearly it's possible--we are only talking about convenience in
this thread probably. of course that can make the difference between
finishing something and not. ;)

Ter