[antlr-interest] ANTLR-generated code & Findbugs

Jim Idle jimi at intersystems.com
Tue Oct 31 12:47:57 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: antlr-interest-bounces at antlr.org [mailto:antlr-interest-bounces at antlr.org] On Behalf Of Kay Roepke

> I have brought up the matter with Terence and others on the antlr-dev
> list. The most irritating thing for me is the fact that there are so
> many unused variables and lists. For me in Objective-C it's a more a
> performance issue,

Surely the objective C compiler does not generate code and overhead for unused stuff unless it is told to? Perhaps we should write a new one? ;-)

> though I'd like to get rid of the warnings, too.

The C code generator generates code that compiles without warning at W4 mode in Visual C++. In some case though I rely on ensuring that all pointers etc are initialized, then turning off the warning about variables that are initialized and used, allowing the compiler to optimize them away. Perhaps you can do the same? I am sure that eventually Ter could identify these suckers and cull them from the codegen, but this seems effort that would be best spent elsewhere at the moment?

Jim