[antlr-interest] Problem to run Beta 4

Jim Idle jimi at intersystems.com
Tue Sep 19 09:44:30 PDT 2006

java classpaths are a pain, especially in Windows.

To run rc3, you need a few things:

1) The version that Ter distributes is built for JDK 1.4.x not 1.5. I have a 1.5 version as I use JDK 1.5 for various reasons. So, you can build it on JDK 1.5. You might be better off though, as an inexperienced java user, to use the JRE that Ter has built this on. You can build it on 1.5 but really, you need to know a bit more about java to be honest, so try to stick with what is distributed so far. That said, JDK 1.5 should run it I think.

2) You require the antrl2.7.6 jar, which I see you are tying to include in the PATH;

3) You require the stringtemplate library as well though or you will get errors trying to run it. Same thing applies to JDK 1.5.

4) Assuming that you have the appropriate pieces, then:

C:\>set CLASSPATH=C:\antlr3\antlr.jar;C:\antlr3\stringtemplate.jar;C:/antlr3/antlr276.jar

C:\>java org.antlr.Tool

ANTLR Parser Generator   Early Access Version 3.0b5 (??, 2006)  1989-2006
usage: java org.antlr.Tool [args] file.g [file2.g file3.g ...]
  -o outputDir   specify output directory where all output is generated
  -fo outputDir  same as -o but force even files with relative paths to dir
  -lib dir       specify location of token files
  -report        print out a report about the grammar(s) processed
  -print         print out the grammar without actions
  -debug         generate a parser that emits debugging events
  -profile       generate a parser that computes profiling information
  -nfa           generate an NFA for each rule
  -dfa           generate a DFA for each decision point
  -X             display extended argument list

Will do the trick, with directories replaced as appropriate. You might find it easier to set this PATH as a system variable in your environment.

Jim