[antlr-interest] C++ code target

Ric Klaren ric.klaren at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 04:46:06 PDT 2007

Hi,

On 4/1/07, Don Caton <dcaton at shorelinesoftware.com> wrote:
> > fashion. Currently I intend to drop unicode support for now and first
> > get a 8 bit version out.
>
> Ric:
>
> Please don't do that.  One of the biggest limitations in Antlr 2 is the lack
> of proper Unicode support.
>
> Why should the code have any dependence on the size of a character?  Please
> don't make the same mistake in 3.0.  The lexer class should be a template
> class that takes the size of a character as a template parameter.  Then
> there will be no need to go back and make another version for Unicode.  It
> should not make any difference whether you are parsing 8 bit characters or
> 16 bit characters or characters of any arbitrary length.

I should rephrase my statement I think, I'll try and prepare as much
as possible for unicode support and key datatypes will be configurable
(maybe not at first but I'll make sure to make it easy to lift them up
to template parameters). But a first release will probably not have an
easy switch to unicode.

> Wish I had time to contribute some code but I won't for the next 4-5 months.
> I could probably help with code design and review though, as time permits.

Design/Code review would be very valuable already. I'll poll you when
I have again something worth looking at.

Cheers,

Ric