[antlr-interest] 1.5 vs 1.4

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Thu Apr 5 11:49:46 PDT 2007

Hi. It seems that the majority of people are fine with me moving to
Java 1.5 so that I can use type arguments on my data structures
internally to the ANTLR tool itself.  I think this is a good idea for
maintenance reasons.  As I look at my data structures now, I
constantly have to wonder what my maps have in them as data types.
In fact, I usually have a comment that says "Map<String, State>". ;)

For now, let's leave the run time as 1.4 and moved to 1.5 for the
tool itself.  Ilia Kantor has graciously shown me the secret and
undocumented -target jsr14 option to the Java 1.5 compiler.  I have
added this to the build.xml file in the depot as well. Therefore, we
should be able to build .class files compatible with 1.4 and yet
still use the 1.5 generics.

Thanks,
Ter