[antlr-interest] antlr-v3 getting started learning curve steep

Robert E Farrell bfarrell at raytheon.com
Thu Apr 12 14:12:01 PDT 2007

First confession time: I'm a newbie to Antlr and I don't speak Java.

I was trying to use Antlr 2.7.7 but had some bugs in my grammar where it
would not recognize things I thought it should.

Because of the availablity of interactive antlrworks, got that plus
antlr-3.0b6.

Was able to use antlrworks to figure out some of the problems. Now want to
compile it to C++ which I can compile/link into a standalone recogniser
which I can run against my around 1000 test files.

But... the directions on installing/running v3 from the command line don't
work or are out of date: I don't have any jar files in .../antlr-3.0b6.
When I try to build using the directions in README, I max out at 100
errors. like:

org/antlr/tool/Grammar.java:42: package org.antlr.stringtemplate does not
exist
import org.antlr.stringtemplate.StringTemplate;
                                ^
org/antlr/tool/Grammar.java:43: package org.antlr.stringtemplate.language
does not exist
import org.antlr.stringtemplate.language.AngleBracketTemplateLexer;
                                         ^
org/antlr/tool/GrammarAST.java:37: package org.antlr.stringtemplate does
not exist
import org.antlr.stringtemplate.StringTemplate;
                                ^

Thanks for your help.

Bob Farrell