[antlr-interest] Fixed width field

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Wed Aug 1 01:26:20 PDT 2007

At 20:10 1/08/2007, Joel Shellman wrote:
 >Is there a way to specify a number of matches of something?
[...]
 >rule4: CHAR CHAR CHAR;
 >
 >I know this would do 3 times, but it's rather unwieldy
especially
 >if I had 36 or 150 or something like that. Is there some syntax
 >to specify to match n times?

Nope.  But you can composite them if you really need to:

char5: CHAR CHAR CHAR CHAR CHAR;
char10: char5 char5;
char50: char10 char10 char10 char10 char10;
char150: char50 char50 char50;

Although for really fixed-width input you'd probably want to do it
in the lexer.  Or not use ANTLR at all, since fixed-width is easy
:)