[antlr-interest] ANTLR V3, ANTLRWorks and C/C++ Target

Kay Roepke kroepke at classdump.org
Wed Aug 8 07:21:24 PDT 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 3:56 PM, Martin Kortmann wrote:

> Is there some kind of community behind all the things
> or is this a three man show? (Terence, Jim and Jean). I hope
> that you dont misunderstood me, the tools are very fine
> and usefull, and every question will be answered in a very
> short time. But there are some things left (outside java)
> and you cannot work on all things at the same time. Is there
> nothing that can be done by other persons?

Well, there are other targets, you know...

And while Ter does the main work on ANTLR it actually happens that we
guys talk about things. So far the main reason the C++ target (for
example) isn't
there yet, is that Jim just recently took over. I'm sure he'd
appreciate help with
that (that probably is true for any other target as well).

I'm not sure that the C target cannot be used with ANTLRWorks
(actually it would suprise
me a lot if it doesn't work). It's true, you cannot use the
interpreter mode and ANTLRWorks
can't compile your recognizers, but that's true with any target other
than Java. It's
just to much work and there are too many details to make it feasible.

What you can do, though, is to use the -debug switch of ANTLR and
then "Debug remote..."
in ANTLRWorks. I use that with my ObjC stuff all the time. I'm pretty
sure that's implemented
in the C target as well.

cheers,
-k