[antlr-interest] attempt to compare antlr vs bison/flex performance

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Dec 19 15:39:46 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 3:31 PM, Johannes Luber wrote:

> Minas Hambardzumyan schrieb:
>> Although the grammar definitions come from different sources, I still
>> think this exercise gives a general idea about performance
>> differences
>> of these parsers. Could anyone please tell me if this is an expected
>> runtime difference or you think I could do some optimizations to get
>> faster performance from antlr3.
>
> I know that in the perforce repository the current source is
> supposed to
> perform at least 50% better than the one available. So it is
> possible to
> optimize stuff. But Ter should know more about this.

I'm working on ANTLR's analysis engine with Kay Roepke.  A TSQL
grammar that took 1m30s is now taking about 10s!  I have not optimized
the runtime.

Also note that the C grammar for v3 is optimized for readability not
at all for speed.  It is not LL(1) by any stretch.  I could alter to
be superfast but less readable...

Ter