[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3 output=AST for tree parser?

Werner Lehmann wl at dm17.com
Sun Feb 25 16:52:13 PST 2007

for a few hours now I have been trying to get a tree parser out of
Terence's Java 1.5 grammar. I thought I was doing something wrong being
not very experienced with ANTLR. Is it true that ASTs are not yet supported?

I need to update my Java 1.4 parser (based on ANTLR 2.7.6) to Java 1.5
and it seemed to be a good idea to use ANTLR3 and this new grammar but
maybe not so. By the way, the separate examples download has a more
recent version of Java.g. The version available from the grammars list
on the site is older and produces uncompilable code which pushed me off
track for some time.

If ANTLR3 would not yet provide an AST should I then use the Java 1.5
grammar created by Michael Studman or Michael Stahl (any experience with
either)?