[antlr-interest] [v3] Lack of documentation

scott at javadude.com scott at javadude.com
Mon Jul 2 15:57:39 PDT 2007

>> I'M SAYING THE ANTLR v3 LICENSE IS BS IF PEOPLE MUST PAY FOR THE BASIC
>> DOCS.
>>

> I think that the point is that you are NOT forced to buy the book, in
> the same way you are not forced to buy lots of books on PHP, Java or the
> dragon book (especially the latest edition) and so on.

Completely different. The Java Language Manual is free. It has all the
details of the language in it.

Books on Java either make it easier to learn the language or give
tips/tricks to use the language more effectively (or are supposed to --
many are crap).

The ANTLR v3 ref manual is only available in the book. You must buy it to
know the deets.

For example:
* How do I use scopes? Only in the book
* How do I use predicates? Only in the book (unless you look at v2 docs)

And the list goes on and on.

Ter says "be patient, the v2 docs weren't there at the start either."

But he's already written the content; he's just hiding it in the book.

-- Scott

 It contains a lot