[antlr-interest] [v3] Lack of documentation

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Mon Jul 2 18:08:38 PDT 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007 17:34, Richard Clark wrote:
> On 7/2/07, Gerald B. Rosenberg <gbr at newtechlaw.com> wrote:
> > I for one very much look forward to Terence
> > continuing (that is, beginning with the unholy "book") to work his
> > pernicious deeds and insidious machinations to swiftly achieve
> > world domination
>
> First he has to take over AT&T. They have the death star (logo) after
> all.
>
> I welcome our new grammatically-correct overlords.

Well, since you welcome it, I'll correct you.

Adverbs modify both adjectives and verbs. Hence, hyphenating an adverb
with an adjective is grammatically incorrect.

Hyphens are only used when one combines words to form a novel, compound
adjectival phrase that modifies its noun as a single unit. For
example, "my super-nifty program produced a grammar-corrected
paraphrase of your sentence" (The correction being: "I welcome our new
grammatically correct overlords.") Hyphens are used to distinguish
separate and independent modification by multiple adjectives from a
single, combined adjectival modifier. Thus "my super, nifty program" is
a noun phrase with two independent modifiers of the noun "program."
Said "program" is both "super" a "nifty." In contrast, "super-nifty
program" is a program whose niftiness exceeds normalcy and must be
explicitly characterized as superior to ordinary niftiness.

It is perhaps more obvious in the case of "grammar-corrected." Without
the hyphen, the phrase, "grammar corrected paraphrase" is not even very
meaningful. While "corrected paraphrase" is reasonably sensible and we
can think of many sentences which might contain it, "grammar
paraphrase" is a little more dubious.

And so on.

>  ...R

RRS