[antlr-interest] apology to Scott was: [v3] Lack of documentation

scott at javadude.com scott at javadude.com
Mon Jul 2 19:39:43 PDT 2007

Thanks, and I'll accept the apology.

There was no call for your initial response in the thread, either, Ter,
and I think you owe the folks you responded to an apology as well.

I'm not at all happy the way this thread went. And it reminds me of some
of the old threads in this group. There's a core group of know-it-alls and
fanboys that give anyone who disagrees a hard time.

I'm almost at the point of saying "screw it" and stop contributing
anything to the ANTLR community. I can just write tools/plugins for
myself. It would be a helluva lot easier than making them generic enough
for general use; it just doesn't seem worth it.

Y'all have to realize that not everyone who wants to use ANTLR is "in the
know". I've been out of the "inner circle" for quite a while, just
recently rejoining the mailing list after I released the new eclipse
plugin.

The way y'all respond will really alienate newbies. It'll make people who
don't already know ANTLR feel inferior and unwelcome, and that their
opinions don't matter.

AND, when you've got people who already like the tool, and just try to
help explain other points of view, don't cruicify them. It leaves them
really wanting to jump ship. I already have my life jacket on.

That's pretty f'd up if the users of a good tool can make folks not want
to use that tool just b/c of their attitudes.

Parsing can be very scary to "get" in itself. Please try to be a little
more accepting of different opinions and realize that your opinions are
*very* biased b/c you're so close to the tool. Try to put yourself in the
shoes of someone new.

-- Scott