[antlr-interest] [v3] Lack of documentation

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Tue Jul 3 14:08:21 PDT 2007

At 07:08 4/07/2007, Andy Tripp wrote:
 >I don't understand.
 >
 >I've reread the sentence below many times now, and I just can't
see
 >how it relates in any way to price. To say "use...is permitted"
 >implies nothing about price.

Of course not.  The BSD license is all about "free as in liberty",
not "free as in beer".

In fact, it's perfectly legal and in accordance with the license
if an up-front purchase is required to get the initial copy of the
source and/or binary -- it's just that the receiver of said source
is then at liberty to give it to others without charge or payment
if they wish, or charge for it if they wish to do that too.  In
fact the source isn't even required to accompany the binary,
unlike the various GPL licenses.

The *only* restrictions imposed by the BSD license are ones of
attribution and limitation of liability -- there is nothing in
there restricting any kind of redistribution.  In fact rights to
redistribute are explicitly granted.