[antlr-interest] Learning ANTLR (was: Comments on ANTLR book)

Richard Clark rdclark at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 17:01:32 PDT 2007

Liviu, I hear your frustrations -- it is hard for a novice to go all
the way from getting started up to fluency. At the same time, the book
is what it is (and is a very good reference once you know what to look
for).

We have the wiki, so let's talk about ways build good instruction
there. There are some good starting points with step by step
instructions, though I suspect there are *too many* places to get
started. I wonder if a roadmap would help. I'm also wondering if
people would contribute to a "wish list" to help prioritize new
learning materials.

Re: doing a complete grammar, I've always liked using a simple but
complete application for introductory programming courses. (I design
and deliver training for a living.) The trick is picking something
that's familiar to a wide audience, sized appropriately, and whos
structure matches most people's projects  -- COBOL is too obscure,
Java is too big, and FORTH too dissimilar to the algol-like languages.

SQL is also probably too big, though SQLLite might be reasonable. I
need to give this more thought and welcome suggestions.

...Richard