[antlr-interest] (newbie problem) rewrite rule question

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Tue Jul 10 17:03:48 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 16:04, ali azimi wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   This one looks complicated to me. Do you think it is ok? I read in
> the pdf that single rules or texts enclosed in Apostrophe are
> automatically provided with a tree node. I do not know if it is
> correct in here. Could you please help?

Might I suggest that in many of these cases, you could make more
progress and learn more effectively by availing yourself of the
considerable powers of ANTLRWorks.

ANTLRWorks' debugger can run your parser on test input (going so far as
to provide single-stepping and even reverse-stepping to earlier stages
in the parse) and can show either the parse tree or the AST of a
tree-generating or rewriting parser. It is an outstanding tool for
understanding the consequences of various grammar and / or rewrite
choices.

If you haven't already done so, check it out! If you have, perhaps you
could give us some idea why it isn't at least as good as a mailing list
at answering many of the questions that arise as you develop your
parser.

>   Al

Randall Schulz