[antlr-interest] Size Limits?

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Wed Jul 11 16:28:23 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 16:20, Susan Jolly wrote:
> I decided to test how fast I could anticipate my new ANTLR v3 grammar
> running on real problems without factoring in output time.
>
> I created an internally generated String with over a million
> characters and it ran so fast ( on a several years old 3 GHz Dell
> running Windows XP) that I could barely time it!  However, when I
> tried to increase the size of the String I (not surprisingly)
> eventually got a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

"Eventually," you are guaranteed to get run out of memory. Unless you've
got a very special computer, indeed.

Have you compared the size of your input string (keeping in mind it uses
two byes for each character it contains(*)) to the upper limit on VM
heap size?

The only thing that's intersting is the ratio between the two, of
course.

(*) Surrogate pairs notwithstanding.

> Susan

Randall Schulz