[antlr-interest] ANTLR & Scala?

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Thu Jul 12 17:28:55 PDT 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007 17:09, Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> Talking about odd targets,

Odd? Scala looks like an intriguing and elegant language, to me. Not
exactly how I'd describe, say, Groovy... Or, for that matter, Java
itself.

The programming world needs better languages, and I'll put my money on
those grounded in computing theory, mathematical formalisms and logical
principles, any day!

> I was struck by the thought of producing
> an x86 assembler target last night ... object-oriented assembler
> anyone? ;-)

Well, I'm sure something along those lines could be done, but you can't
short-cut the complexity of a compiler. Realistically, machine code
generation isn't simple.

In fact, the notion of an object-oriented assembly language isn't new.
I'll bet if you search the 'Net, you'll find projects, though I'm
unaware of any recently (and for good reason—portability matters, for
one thing, and that's just one reason for highly stratified compiler
designs, including the whole concept of virtual machines).

Randall Schulz