[antlr-interest] Internal error from ANTLR 3.0 when parsing .g file containing '!' without AST generation enabled.

Benjamin Niemann pink at odahoda.de
Sun Jul 15 04:57:46 PDT 2007

Sam Ellis wrote:

> When converting an ANTLR 2 grammar to ANTLR 3 I came across the following
> internal error exception:
>
> [java] ANTLR Parser Generator  Version 3.0 (May 17, 2007)  1989-2007
> [java] error(10):  internal error: XYZ.g :
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can't find template tokenRefBang.st
> [java]

org.antlr.stringtemplate.StringTemplateGroup.lookupTemplate(StringTemplateGr
> oup.java:485)
>
> Searching the mailing list I saw that this was reported a year ago on an
> early access 3.0 release:
> http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2006-April/016122.html
>
> The cause is as stated in the earlier post; I was using '!' without AST
> generation enabled. I only mention this again because it looks like this
> was not fixed for the 3.0 final release, and I can't see it mentioned in
> the bug tracker (and nor do I see how to raise a new bug report).

The "I have not cleaned up error handling yet." statement still applies to
the 3.0 release. Ter is working on the v2->v3 migration of ANTLRs own
parser (which is a prerequisite for better error handling) and seems to
make good progress right now.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de