[antlr-interest] IntelliJ plug-in fails to save file

Wed Jun 13 09:54:46 PDT 2007

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 June 2007 23:43, Jean Bovet wrote:
>> There is always a trade off between a complete and smooth integration
>> into IntelliJ and retaining as much work as possible: using the
>> custom language would require much work that has been already spent
>> in ANTLRWorks itself. But I would love to integrate ANTLRWorks more
>> into IntelliJ.... if anybody knows how to interact with IntelliJ,
>> please let me know.
>
> I have no specific information to give you, but if you decide to embark
> on this, you might want to consider targeting IDEA 7.0, since
> apparently the JetBrains people do not place a high value on backward
> compatibility of the extension / plug-in API.
>
> I know, e.g., that the Groovy plug-in they're producing works only on
> the early-access release of version 7.0.

Can you give any specific examples where the API was broken in recent
years? In my experience *a lot* of effort is put in maintaining
compatibility. Jetbrains would certainly want to hear it if something is
broken.

As for the new, in-development, Groovy plugin running only on 7.0:
perhaps the implementation uses new API features from IDEA 7.0?

Rails 1.2 requires a fairly recent version of Ruby, does that mean it
has bad backward compatibility?

-tt