[antlr-interest] Emitting (additional) imaginary tokens in theC target

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Thu Jun 14 07:43:25 PDT 2007

This just reflects the way the java is constructed - you have to follow the entire flow before deciding that emitNew should call emit (if it should then there would only be one function) :-). At the moment it isn't designed for multiple tokens basically.

I think (assuming that you really do need to emit two tokens), that you are looking at the wrong thing - the emit and emitNew already swapped places before the 3.0 snap because of Java changes that I want to stay somewhat in line with).

Having got a token, you want to add the new token into the output stream, hence you can emit, then add the lexer->token to your list/array/whatever then emit another one and add that to your list/array/etc... so the method you probably then want to override is the:

static void
fillBuffer  (pANTLR3_COMMON_TOKEN_STREAM tokenStream)

in the token stream, rather than nextToken I think. You can just copy it, and make this code deal with a list/array of tokens. However, then you have to maintain this and so on, whereas at some point I will expand the logic to deal with multiple tokens as it won't be much overhead in the C runtime I think.

As always though, before smashing down the door with a hammer, try the handle. What makes you believe that you need to emit multiple tokens? I would be willing to bet that you don't really need that, though it isn't a given of course.

Jim