[antlr-interest] Understanding lookahead

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Mon Jun 18 00:29:36 PDT 2007

At 12:16 18/06/2007, Terence Parr wrote:
 >On Jun 18, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
 >> which I was hoping would introduce backtracking which should
 >> have made your example work. Indeed, that option inserted some

 >> code, but IMHO totally meaningless and without effect.
 >>
 >> Maybe this does not work for the lexer?
 >
 >I've never tried it in the lexer...I'd suggest avoiding it even
if
 >it works. ;)

Lexer backtracking doesn't appear to work at the moment, but it is
currently my #2 most wanted feature :)

(I also think that the lexer should backtrack by default even
without any options and without having to make the parser
backtrack too.  The behaviour of the lexer just makes more sense
to me that way.  But I've said that before.)