[antlr-interest] Is ANTLR Hallucinating?

Thomas Brandon tbrandonau at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 07:59:39 PDT 2007

On 6/27/07, Randall R Schulz <rschulz at sonic.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007 07:32, Thomas Brandon wrote:
> > On 6/27/07, Randall R Schulz <rschulz at sonic.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Is anything supposed to happend when I issue the Help command (from
> > > the Help menu)? 'Cause nothing happens on my system (not even a
> > > "not help available" alert).
> >
> > I get a browser open at http://www.antlr.org/works/help/index.html
>
> Hmmm... Do you know what ANTLRworks does to invoke the browser? I don't
> see a Preference for choosing or specifying the command invoked to
> launch the browser.

No, I gather it must use some system (or library) call as I didn't set
any option. Apparently not working on Linux (or at least some
VMs\distros).

> > > Also, when the conflict diagram is displayed and the ANTLRworks
> > > window is active, it seems to consume all available CPU cycles.
> >
> > I get higher CPU usage (about 11% compared to 5% normally) when
> > viewing a syntax diagram, but thats on windows (dualcore 3GHz).
>
> This is a 3GHz HyperThreading CPU running Linux. It shouldn't be that
> different from yours, I wouldn't think. Or is yours a Core 2 Duo? Those
> things really scream!

Older Core 1 (D9xx), dual core but not the newer Core 2, so for single
process like this should be about the same speed as yours. But I don't
think it's a CPU issue, most likely a JVM (\Swing) issue, or
interaction between Jean's code and your Swing. Probably worth saying
what JVM your using so Jean can have a look, or others running on
Linux can report.

> > Tom.
>

> Randall Schulz

Tom.