[antlr-interest] ambigous lexer tokens

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Thu Jun 28 09:07:03 PDT 2007

El 28/6/2007, a las 17:10, Jim Idle escribió:

> I cannot agree with this:
>
>> ANTLR is a very complex tool and it can deviate from your
>> expectations in
>> incredibly subtle and hard-to-understand ways.
>
> But you cannot just go barging in on it - first you have to learn what
> the expectations are. The tool is a complicated to thing to
> produce, but
> once you have your head around a few concepts it is remarkably easy to
> use.

Hmmm... But Jim, don't forget that as the C target author you're
speaking as one of the foremost ANTLR experts... Who knows more about
ANTLR than you? Ter and very few others, if any... So for you it
doubtlessly is "remarkably easy". But looking at the large number of
questions from puzzled people posted to this mailing list (I include
myself in the puzzled group more often than not) I think it's clear
that ANTLR is a very tricky best, even for those who've read the book
(like me... more than once!).

Cheers,
Wincent