[antlr-interest] ANTLR Project Google Summer of Code projects

Ahmed Mohombe amohombe at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 04:23:29 PDT 2007

>> E.g. Zend("owners" PHP) released as open source their IDE , but not so
>> the grammar. Also their PHP
>> implementation released with the sources, but again no grammar. Also
>> if one is searching for the
>> many PHP IDEs , they don't seem to have the grammar published.
>> So it is just strange, that the language that is mostly used/deployed
>> on million of sites, has
>> no *usable* grammar to start with.
>
> Hm, I'm not sure where you looked, but the official PHP distribution
> contains the YACC grammar for PHP (zend_language_parser.y), so there
> is a grammar to take as a starting point.
Maybe as a starting point, but it looks incomplete compared to what one would expect that tools need.
E.g. the grammar generated for the Eclipse PHP Plug-in
http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/index.php
is at least with an order of magnitude finer (but the grammar files were not published :( ).
The grammar available for JavaCC is also pretty simple.

> Also, there is PHP-front, which provides SDF grammars for PHP4 and PHP5,
> see:
> http://www.program-transformation.org/PHP/
> (this project was sponsored by Google last year ... )
I see. It looks rather new :).

Ahmed.